Navigate your path to improved trial enrollment
View our virtual fireside chat on how technology can improve cancer trial enrollment rates
Benchmark your trial matching for cancer patients against your peers
Learn how Trial Navigator can streamline matching at your institution
Oncology AI for rapid automation of trial candidate identification
Manually matching patients to trials is hugely inefficient. Identifying clinical trials takes on average 120 minutes per cancer patient. Consequently, only 35% of patients are evaluated. Inspirata Trial Navigator contributes to improved patient outcomes and institutional trial enrollment rates by introducing full automation of the clinical trial matching process.
of institutions have automated trial match data populated in the patient EHR.
2 out of 3
cancer patients miss clinical trial evaluation
Fewer than 12%
of immunotherapies use biomarkers
Only 1 in 10
institutions have automated trial matching
Trial Navigator bases its matches on patient pathology reports, clinical data, and biomarkers.
Utilizing oncology-specific natural language processing (NLP) AI to interrogate individual medical reports and trial inclusion and exclusion criteria, Trial Navigator eliminates manual research and lookup bottlenecks to accelerate the oncology workflow. It immediately identifies and presents back to care teams all trials for which a new or existing patient might be eligible.
Introducing Trial Navigator
Automation of Patient Trial Matching
Trial Navigator employs a four-step process to provide hospitals with real-time information about relevant clinical trials that match their patients’ clinical and genomic profiles:
- NLP is applied to process pathology and other diagnostic reports to extract discrete data points in computable form.
- Extracted data points are then augmented with disease codes and matched against clinical trials’ inclusion and exclusion criteria.
- Matched clinical trials are stored in Inspirata’s clinical trials database and augmented with patient demographic data from the electronic health or medical record.
- On identifying a trial match or matches, notifications are immediately sent to the care team, with key information about the potential trial options automatically populating the patient’s medical record.
Trial Navigator supports two key use cases:
Oncologist Use Case: Trial Matching at the Point of Care
Available as a SMART on FHIR application, Trial Navigator can be integrated directly within the EHR. This enables the oncologist to review, discuss, and confirm trial matches with their patient at the point of care without ever having to leave the system or perform any manual trial searches.
Nurse Navigator Use Case: Identifying Eligible Patients for Trial Enrollment
In addition to surfacing matches for the oncologist within the EHR, Trial Navigator can also syndicate actionable match data to other teams involved in a specific patient’s care (e.g., tumor board or MDT), and those with a broader responsibility for improving trial enrollment (e.g., trial nurses and coordinators).
Aiming to maximize the likelihood of surfacing relevant matches, Trial Navigator can analyze concurrently the inclusion and exclusion criteria from multiple trial databases.
Benefits of Trial Navigator
- Retrieves trial data from multiple sources located in various geographies
- Converts inclusion and exclusion criteria from “free text” into discrete terms
- Parses clinical and biomarker data from lab reports and other sources
- Allows filter creation by typing search criteria in natural language
- Automatically filters patient and trial data for searches
- Ranks trial on matched criteria rather than a simple keywords match score
- Saves time and improves successful match rates by reducing the need for manual entry and displaying only relevant matches
- Directly embedded in Epic (or other EHRs that support SMART on FHIR apps) to remove disruptions to the oncologist’s workflow
- Allows for quick enrollment, directly within the application
- Works with all cancer types and can be expanded to other diseases
Benefits of Trial Navigator
- Improved trial enrollment rates and patient outcomes through retrospective and prospective matching.
- New revenue streams through accelerated execution and more frequent hosting of trials.
- Increased patient and family satisfaction with standard of care.
- Reduction in human hours invested on manually screening.
- Early surfacing of options to mitigate instances of patient being too late for trial inclusion (due to starting an alternative therapy).
- More effective workflow as less time is spent searching and more time evaluating.
- Enhanced institutional reputation based on delivering cutting-edge care.
The Business Case for Automation
How effective is your institution in matching patients to relevant clinical trials?
Take our short survey to receive a personalized benchmarking report documenting your institution’s effectiveness, vis-a-vis your global peers, in identifying and matching qualified patients for clinical trials.
- SMART on FIHR app works seamlessly with all leading EHR systems
- Leverages industry-proven, scalable AI and NLP Engine in use at 100+ institutions globally
- Matches patients to trials based on both their clinical and genomic profiles
- Easy integration with all relevant clinical trial databases
- Sends notifications about successful matches to all relevant members of the care team